Tuesday, December 27, 2011

FACE DOWN IN THE DIRT.

In the words of the lovely Wendi Wainscott, “Be bold!”

I don’t know about you guys, but this is a difficult statement to go by for a girl like me. I’m shy with new people, I’m scared of rejection, and I am terrified of what others may think of me. However, over the past few years with me growing older and “becoming an adult”, being bold has done me a lot of good. Not to say there are not bad moments when I feel like an idiot for taking that extra step and falling flat on face. After falling on your face, though, you eventually have to get up and keep moving on or else your destined to spend eternity with your face in the dirt.

When I started college last year, I was extremely timid about EVERYTHING. I was hesitant to make new friends because I was not confident with who I was. I did not think people would like me and I was also struggling with different inner conflicts. However, I became friends with a few people throughout the year, who ended up showing me that I was actually kind of a pretty awesome person. When this year started I took a chance and began hanging out with more people in the theatre department instead of going home and sitting on my butt after class. This was a bold move for me. I closed my eyes and took that extra step and ended up not falling on my face, but I ended up on a path with really awesome new friends and strengthening relationships with my professors. Suddenly, going to school was not so intimidating.

That is merely one incident that showed me to get up off my butt and do something. Sometimes you have to take chances in life. Write your phone number on a napkin and give it to the cute waiter you can’t take your eyes off of, get up on that stage and sing a silly karaoke song, or just talk to a stranger & see where it goes (Obviously you should be smart about this one. It’s called be bold, not being dumb.) Life will not be interesting or worth it if you take the flat, straight path. It is only when you add twists and turns and hills that life becomes a little more interesting and a little more worth living.